Wednesday 16 March 2016

On schedule!

Well, I am on schedule with this challenge quilt. I have the top half pieced and pressed.  Little bit of a scare with a black mark on one of the lighter squares, however, it came off with a bit of water.


If you look close you can see that all my corners line up, I have been really trying to improve my sewing and being more meticulous with my scant 1/4 inch seam allowance.  I have stopped using my 1/4 inch foot as I can only get my needle to move over to the far right position and get an exact 1/4 inch seam.  I have taped a metal ruler to my sewing machine at the 1/4 inch mark and it has been acting as a fabric guide as well and made doing piecing much easier.  Will continue to use this method as it has made this quilt go together quite quickly.



I have the all the fabric dyed for the bottom half, 22 grey fabrics in total.  I have enough fabric to make do two quilts, but will see, maybe make a pillow or something.


4 comments:

  1. I've heard of putting tape on the machine bed, but never a ruler. Excellent idea for making a fabric guide! The quilt looks great and your dyeing is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you - I have had that metal ruler for years and use it quite a bit when measuring at my sewing machine. It was laying next to the guide and I thought, why not. It works great, I can but the fabric up against it and it guides it right under the foot. I am really enjoying dying fabric, but I do need to move on from grey.

      Delete
  2. It's looking really great Scott. There is a scant quarter setting on the machine as well as the 1/4" setting. I don't know if you have tried that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried, but with the foot I have, 1/4 inch setting is already over at 9mm mark (as far right as the needle will go). But will play with it more once I am done this top.

      Delete