Sunday 15 May 2016

Playing with colour

Since I got back from my colour dyeing course, I have been dyeing a lot of fabric.  My goal this month is to get 50 to 75 meters of fabric dyed for an event in June, that I will have a table at.

I am really happy with this yellow/green gradation.


I am bundling them up as a unit - 


I have some orange and red gradients soaking/rinsing.

Today, I set up to do some teal -


I have measured out for 6 different values of teal.  I soaked each meter in a soda ash solution then spun them in my washing machine to get most of the water out.  I then added the measured dye to a volume of water I wanted for each value, so that each meter go the same amount of fluid, the only difference was the amount of dye available for each meter of fabric.

I also did a 6 step gradient of indigo -


Again I added water to bring up the volume to my desired level for low water dyeing.  You can see that each beaker has the same level.


You can also see the fabric soaked with the teal in the background - These are currently in a warm place batching.  I will rinse them tomorrow after work.

Will post the pictures of them after they are rinsed and ironed.   I have plans to do a purple and a plum later in the week.  By next weekend I should have 152 fat quarters done.

Before the end of May, I should have 75 meters of fabric dyed.  This will mean I have to purchase more fabric, but watching a roll of white fabric turn into all these fabulous colours is exciting.

Scott.



No comments:

Post a Comment