Wednesday 4 May 2016

Colour Mixing for Dyers!

Last week I was in Fall River, Mass taking a workshop at ProChemical and Dye,  Color Mixing for Dyers by Carol Soderlund.  From when I first started dyeing I have heard that this was a workshop I should take.

I left early on Saturday, April 21st to drive the 9 hours to get down to Fall River.  It took me a bit longer – I stopped at several quilt stores to have a look around. I then went to Boston Sunday to have a look around.  I found that of all the places I have driven, Boston had the worst drivers.  I spend the day looking around and doing a bit of sight seeing. Then drove to Fall River and checked into the hotel and tried to get a good night sleep for the first day of the workshop.

Monday morning got to ProChem early and grabbed a table up front to make sure I had a good seat.  The rest of the students arrived and we met Carol and got going.  The morning was a bit of introduction and a direction to the workshop.  Monday afternoon we got into dyeing.  Adding labels to layer cakes of PFD fabric.   Water, salt, and dye were measure, buckets were set up, soda ash solution prepared and away we went.


Yellow variations were done Monday afternoon,





Red was added (over dyed) Tuesday morning


Then Blue was done Tuesday Afternoon. (Look at those colours)


Look at all the colours that were produced.




The stacks of each colour family were cut up and distributed for our colour reference books.  I have two more envelopes to go before my book is complete.

Thanks Carol and it was wonderful working with the other students in the workshop.

I could not wait to get another colour family done,. So I have the yellow set dyed and will get the red added tonight.

If you have a chance to take this course I would highly recommend it. Not only because  Carol is a great instructor, she has put together a wonderful method for learning about colour and setting up a great reference.

I have a feeling I will have many colour families done in the next few years, using all the fabrics I use for my dyeing.




1 comment: